Content

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Salad Bar: My Eats on the Go



It was easy to fall in love with the salad bars at my local grocery stores. The produce looks almost too pretty to touch, so it almost pains me to pick out those delectable veggies from their chilly resting places. But, hey, a busy girl's gotta eat, too.

This particular day was one of those where I would be spending most of the day delivering mail to the southeast corner of rural Riley County, Kansas. If the in-laws aren't home, then I've nowhere to stop. Well, that's not completely true. There's that gas station on that one busy highway that borders the western edge of this route. So unless I plan to blow my macros for the day, I have to hit the local grocery stores before heading to the office that day.

You see, I normally would have to stick to protein bars, apples, and a few other pre-packaged choices. When you deliver the mail in the middle of nowhere, food has to keep well,  be very portable, and be almost weather-resistant.

Today was a lucky day. On this particular day, the salad bar opened early and I was the first customer. Some mixed greens here, some baby spinach there, shredded carrot, grilled chicken, cucumbers and half an ounce of Italian dressing, I've got the tastiest salad I've ever eaten while sitting in my in-law's driveway.

I switch up the veggie proportions from time to time. Sometimes grapes or strawberries will make an appearance, but I pretty much stick to this combo. There's just enough variance in texture and flavor that it keeps me interested.

When it comes down to it, this busy girl has no problem disrupting the chi of a pretty salad bar to fuel herself through the day. After, I never would have hit the 100 pound weight loss milestone without strategies like this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

Manhattan, KS, United States
Late 30-something Kansas gal on a path toward health and fitness while fighting an oppressive sweet tooth and a laundry list of food allergies daily.
Powered by Blogger.

Snapshots